The Exchange Blog

News and updates from the Teaching, Learning and Employability Exchange at University of the Arts London

MA Academic Practice

Case study: Why take the PgCert? Q&A with Harriet Hedden

Harriet (Associate Lecturer in ADS) talks about the impact the PgCert has had on her teaching practice.

How did you find out about the course?

I found out about the course via a Teaching & Learning Exchange workshop.

What steps did you take after finding out about the course?

I spoke to various members of the Learning and Teaching team, and my Staff Development Coordinator.

How was your course funded?

Initially I self-funded my studies, then it was funded by UAL.

What were the highlights of the course for you?

I love the blended learning approach, for example the group learning via blog/journals. I enjoy interaction with diverse student group. It’s also great stimulation to try new approaches to teaching my own student cohorts.

What were the challenges of the course?

You have to absorb complex information, while trying to make it relevant and practical. It’s challenging juggling a time consuming reading list and written outcomes with work and parenting.

How has it affected your day-to-day role?

In a positive way – it’s very inspiring and a great lens to observe myself as a learner and in my pedagogic practice. Also it means brushing off my slightly dusty academic and writing skills, which I’m also enjoying immensely.

How do you think the course will impact on your career?

I think it already has impacted in an interesting and positive way on my current teaching practice. I feel stimulated, more aware again of the process of learning, and how that feels.

I am currently looking for a permanent teaching role in HE and hopefully the enhanced contemporary teaching qualification will enable me to enter the competitive academic teaching practice again, after having a break for child rearing.

Is there anything you wish you’d known?

Possibly a map of rooms in various colleges for seminar locations!

Any other comments?

It’s a fantastic experience and I really appreciate and relish the opportunity to learn.