The Exchange Blog

News and updates from the Teaching, Learning and Employability Exchange at University of the Arts London

MA Academic Practice

Case Study: Why take the PgCert?

Q&A with Lindsey Riley, BA Bags and Accessories Course Leader at London College of Fashion

Lindsey talks about her reasons for studying and what to expect from the PgCert course.

Why did you choose the course?
After a new staff induction I wanted to do the course as soon as possible to learn about pedagogy. After 30 years in industry I needed to learn academic processes and teaching methods fast.

How did you find out about the course?
I looked at the website, talked to my Learning and Teaching Coordinator and sought advice from colleagues and my Programme Director before enrolling.

How was your course funded?
Through the Learning Development Fund.

What are the highlights of the course?
The highlight of the course for me has been the Inclusivity unit.

What are the challenges of the course?
Finding the time to do the work alongside my full time course leader responsibilities. You still have to get your day job done!

How has it affected your day-to-day role?
It has enriched my teaching content and feeds directly into project planning. One of the most beneficial things was the one-to-one feedback session from my tutor teaching observation. That kind of advice is hard to get in industry. I was a co-owner of a business. No one told you anything about your performance – you had to sink or swim. It is great to have this kind of support and encouragement.

How do you think the course will impact on your career?
It has impacted on me greatly already. It’s made me see things in a different way, value new things and be more insightful. This is sure to pay off career wise as I build on these learned experiences.

Any other comments?
After a breather I would like to continue to gain an MA.